Frequently Asked Questions


What does an MP do?

As an MP I represent you, my constituents, in Parliament. I am here to help in any matter relating to central government. I debate and vote on legislation before the House on your behalf.


I have a problem with my Tax Credit Claim?

This is a matter I can investigate for you. If you wish me to assist in a tax credit claim please contact my office by e-mail or letter and include your National Insurance number along with your contact details. 


I have a problem with my Council Tax?

This is a matter for either Preston City Council. If you have a problem with your council tax please contact Preston City Council's Revenues & Benefits Section.

I need a recycling bin / my bins have not been emptied?

If you are having problems with your recycling or your general rubbish bins. Please contact Preston City Council, Rubbish, Waste and Recycling. 

I have a problem with my Child Support?

This is a matter I can investigate for you. For me to take up this matter please contact my office, by e-mail or letter including the full names and dates of births of the child/children that the claim relates to as well as the name of your ex-partner.

 I have a problem with my street lights or roads?

Please contact Lancashire County Council Street Lighting to report faulty street lights or Lancashire County Council Roads to report road and highway faults

I need a letter of support for a relative's immigration application?

I cannot provide letters of support for initial immigration applications and I would advise the applicants and sponsors to submit their application in the usual manner, more information about what documents need to be submitted can be found on the UK Border Agency site.  If a problem arises during the application, then please contact my office.

I am in fear of being in or I am currently in a Forced Marriage.  How do I inform the UK Border Agency that I do not support my spouse?

Call the UK Border Agency directly on:

020 7008 0151 (or 0044 20 7008 0151 if you are overseas)

Their caseworkers are fully trained to deal with the emotional, cultural and social issues surrounding forced marriage.  Further information is available on the UKBA website. You may also wish to write directly to me regarding your case and I will forward this to the UKBA on your behalf.  Please include your full name and date of birth along with the details of your estranged spouse including any reference or passport numbers.